Personal Luthier provides professional answers for your guitar questions.
Follow the information below to book your free initial consultation.
How it works
Follow these steps to access professional support for your guitar questions.
- Complete our booking form. Please include all relevant details and specify if you prefer email or phone support for your initial consultation, as well as your preferred method future communications. If you are requesting a phone call, please include three or more dates and times that you are available to speak with us.
- Personal Luthier responds to requests in one of two ways.
- For email requests, Personal Luthier responds with an initial evaluation based on your request. Pricing and availability of additional support are provided in this response.
- For phone call requests, Personal Luthier responds via email confirming a call window (typically 30–60 minutes) based on one of your preferred dates and times.
- For example, if you said, “I’m available at 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. on 10/1/21 and again at 10 a.m. on 10/2/21.” We could respond with call windows of 11:45 a.m.–12:15 p.m. on 10/1/21, or 10 a.m.–10:30 a.m. on 10/2/21.
- Then, within the call window, Personal Luthier provides the initial phone consultation along with information on pricing and availability of additional support.
- After the consultation, there is a brief satisfaction survey. Personal Luthier asks all new clients to complete this form to improve client experiences.
- Personal Luthier works with you to establish a personalized consulting plan if you decide to seek additional services. Invoices are sent at this time; any deposits to secure scheduled service are also due at this time.
If you require in-person service, Personal Luthier can help.
Many clients visiting or residing in Maine can schedule Personal Luthier In-Home Repair Services. Clients in all other locations benefit from the Personal Luthier Affiliate Referral Program, which allows Personal Luthier to recommend a verified service provider in your area.
Please indicate on your booking form if you need either of these services or contact us for more information.
Personal Luthier, an extension of Learning to Speak Guitar: A Luthier’s Thesaurus, exists to support guitar-lovers, regardless of industry, musical ability, or background. As such, Personal Luthier provides the following pricing structure.
All new clients receive one free initial consultation* which consists of one email or one five-minute phone call.* After the initial consultation, clients pay hourly for services based on method of communication, length and volume of consulting, and a rate based on complexity of service.
Consultations start at $20. All rates are based on a standard $90/hour rate for non-routine guitar service. **
For clients who want regular access to Personal Luthier, we offer subscription pricing with monthly billing. Use our booking form to learn more.
Personal Luthier encourages students, including those learning to play guitar and those learning to build/repair guitars, to ask questions. Lots of questions. For this reason, all students receive additional free consultations annually. ***
PLEASE DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS TO INFO@PERSONALLUTHIER.COM.
By submitting an inquiry to Personal Luthier, all users agree to the following Client Agreement Statement.
I freely submit my inquiry to Personal Luthier and agree to pay any and all invoices for services I receive. I understand that Personal Luthier, and its agents, associates and all other affiliated third parties, cannot guarantee any outcome deriving from any Personal Luthier service. I agree to hold harmless, defend, and indemnify Personal Luthier, and all its agents and associates, agreeing that, should I seek restitution, I shall be limited to only the cost of the services I receive.
Personal Luthier complete Terms of Service are available here.
Privacy statement: Personal Luthier collects no personal information beyond client name, email, and/or phone number and collects no additional information in the operation of our business that is not provided by our clients. The information we collect is used solely for contacting clients, operating our business, and providing products and services as described on our site (PersonalLuthier.com) and in our Terms of Service. Personal Luthier does not sell, trade, or disclose client information to any party unless required to comply with all applicable laws.
*Free consultation is one email or one five-minute phone call and carries no obligations.
**Standard bench rate of $90.00/hr was applied to all non-routine repairs and services by Mr. Richardson while servicing guitar-family instruments as part of operating Richardson Guitars LLC. Routine repairs include but are not limited to setups, fret dresses, electronics or hardware replacements, and nut or saddle fabrication. Non-routine repairs include but are not limited to finish repairs, tone consultation, buzz mitigation, and crack repairs. Many, but not all, guitar questions fall under the non-routine category and this rate is provided as reference for Personal Luthier clients.
***Free consultations for students are limited to four (4) consultations per student, per year. That is four emails or 20 minutes of call time. Students may select a mix of methods (i.e.: three emails and one five-minute phone call). All clients, including students, under the age of 18 must submit questions with parent/guardian consent. Proof of such consent, and/or student enrollment will be requested prior to any response from Personal Luthier.